Monday, July 9, 2012

Oxfordshire

Wrapping up Day 3 here in Oxford! Has been busy and very fun. Here are the highlights!
Saturday and Sunday Tyler stayed here with me, so while I was in class, he toured around. Later he showed me the sights!

My class is going well. There are only 10 people in it and we write a lot.  It is informative and fun. In the afternoons I should probably be continuing writing, but I have been walking about. Sunday afternoon I walked down to the King's Arms pub and ran into the grad assts from UGA who are here with the summer semester students. So, I watched the Wimbledon final with them and was so thankful to pull up a chair next to friends.

This afternoon I took the bus to Woodstock and Blenheim Palace, but conveniently forgot that the Olympic torch was running through Woodstock and Oxford this afternoon. It was quite chaotic in town and at the palace. I will have to go back to actually tour it, but you can see how many people were lining the streets around the palace. I strolled around the grounds and found some sheep to take pictures of. Made me very happy.



I made several new friends today on the trip! A lady, her granddaughter, and a man they met on the bus waited for the bus to Woodstock with me. The child was very concerned that i had gotten off of the bus at the wrong stop, so the man kept checking up on me. He was very kind and even gave me his bus time table! I will have to use it.

I escaped from Blenheim before the torch came through, but managed to see it just pass by on the street outside of the palace gates.  The lady next to me was very kind and we walked into the town center together. I think this is usually a very charming and quaint town, but today it was crazy.  The masses came out to support their country. Team GB is full of the Olympic spirit. This is a poor photo but a lady stepped right in front of me as he came by, so i only got him from the back. oh well.



On the bus ride back, I sat next to a delightful man whose wife was sitting in front of us.  She made him come out to see the torch from their village, but he admitted he wished that he was "trimming my hedges." ha!




No comments: