Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Successful Excursion!

My trip to Highclere Castle aka Downton Abbey turned into a marvelous success today!
I took pictures until the camera battery died. Unfortunately, photos are not allowed inside the castle, but you all know what it looks like in there.

Each of the downstairs rooms had a tour guide to explain where you were and what all was in the room. They were all exquisite.  One great touch was the current family photos they have placed in each room. Removes the museum-like feel from the house. Let's see, they showed us the Drawing, Dining, Smoking,  and Morning Rooms, as well as the Library. The middle area that is open to the 2nd and 3rd floors is called the Grand Saloon or something like that -- its walls are covered in painted leather -- all the walls are works of art the leather, silk tapestries, hand paintings, silk wall coverings - as are the ceilings (exception being the Smoking room)! Each room has an unbelievable fireplace, too.

On the 2nd floor, there was a wonderful lady who showed me all around! I was the only one in the house for a while because it was later in the afternoon and pretty slow. She snuck me into one of the bedrooms to have a real look. It is the room used as Edith's in the show.  Amazing views! Can you imagine waking up and seeing those rolling hills every morning? And sheep! Everywhere --
3rd floor wasn't open, and the power was out for some reason, so they weren't letting people downstairs because it was too dark.

After I descended the grand oak stairwell, I visited the gardens surrounding the castle.  Beautiful, and accompanied by bleating sheep in the background.

I did get the impression from the show that the driveway pulls right up to the front of the house, but actually you drive up from the left side of the house. There is an enormous field in front.  Tricky cameras!
 Speaking of cameras, here are my attempts to capture some of the sights for you:

 My first full view of the castle from the drive. 



 The family's motto is engraved above the window sills and doorways and on the dining room wall.



 I was here.


 And here!

These columns are called the "Jackdaws Castle" and you can see how near it is to Highclere.
I imagined it to be found in an isolated field, but it is just a short walk from the castle. 



One of the views around the castle.



The "Secret Garden"

Field of wildflowers behind the castle. 

Wish you all had been there with me!


Here is a peek at what was going on when I had my picture taken in front of the castle:


No wonder I look so awkward! 

1 comment:

Whitney said...

Mags,
Your posts are great!!! I look forward to each one and find myself checking my Google Reader WAY, WAY, WAY too often!! I love you and can't wait to go through every single picture with you. I want stories from each stop!!
Safe travels and happy storytelling,
Whit