Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Tyler in London

Hello again!
A lot of activity over the past few days. Have been too busy to even put these pictures up. I am taking this afternoon to do a bit of housekeeping at the flat, and so here are the lastest tales from our adventure as seen from my camera:


Saturday morning -- Picked up a cheddar breadstick from acharming baker and her daughter at the market on Kings Road. Their display included a dash of patriotism:


Afterwards, we took the subway to Westminster and walked along the river bank. Here is Tyler in front of the Thames and the London Eye. You can see how delightful the weather was:


We walked east along the bank and crossed over London Bridge to Borough Market. Along the way we stopped for some pictures at the site of the original Globe theatre. 


 Inside the market we grabbed two delicious burgers - lamb & mint and pork & stilton. Both amazing.

 Mmm...
Topped it off with a double chocolate brownie. Then we ran into this massive cheese stand!


Glass of wine riverside:


Then we went to the Tate Modern and the Evensong service at St. Paul's.  Those pics must be on Tyler's camera. Bet I am in some of them!
Even though we were exhausted from this full day, we pressed on for supper at Le Suquet, a small French place around the corner. Tyler ordered the most unbelievable seafood platter. I have never seen most of the foods that were on it. Half of them were little snail like shells and the waiter brought straight pins to pull the little critters out of the shells with. Very interesting. He loved it. I was happy with salmon in puff pastry!


On Sunday morning we made it just in time for the Matins service at Westminster. I am sorry these pictures on Tyler's phone because they are great. The service was beautiful and the voices of the Westminster choir spiraled up towards the heavens. We sat about 4 seats behind where the Queen was at William and Kate's wedding, if anyone is familliar with that. Then we walked all around the abbey.

That afternoon we headed to Portobello Road in Notting Hill. Here Tyler enjoys a pint at The Duke of Wellington pub after a long afternoon of shopping:


Monday: On my own. No faces in this pics!
Walked Tyler to the subway, then headed west towards Harrods.
On the way there, I past these lovely English gardens. I think this is Cadogan Gardens.
Nice and properly tucked away:


Starving when I made it to Harrods (in the rain). Sat down to recollect the weekend's events and enjoy a teacake with marmalade. 
It was delicious! Sorry you missed it before I gobbled it up:

The Victoria and Albert Museum is just down the street from Harrods, so I headed that way.
Inside the V&A:

Later I walked-- the entire length-- Hyde Park to Kensington Palace where I had tea and a scone (solo) in the Orangery. A nice end to the afternoon. I saw The Mousetrap last night, but Tyler slept through the first act! He woke up for the end and then we went for pizza. Perfect!

Today has been a big day. These girls came home with me earlier and so I have retired from shopping for a bit.


Am going to try to cook dinner in the apartment tonight. We are headed to see Sweeney Todd with Michael Ball and Ismelda Staunton at 19:30 and I can't wait!



1 comment:

The York Family said...

Love reading your updates and all the amazing sites you get to see! Can't wait to catch up and hear in person when you get back