Saturday, July 21, 2012

Pay your taxes

Thursday morning I went to the Tower of London to see what all the fuss is about. My friend Mary and I arrived just in time to join one of the Beefeater guided tours and he made our visit well worth it. We learned so much about the Tower and all of the people who live there now and were imprisoned there in the past!

Also, it just so happened that Thursday was one of 2 days each year where a naval ship moored in the Thames has to pay their tax to the city. This is done through a procession of the Tower band and the Naval band. In the past, the tax was waged based on the goods of the ship; today the navy brings a barrel of rum for the Yeoman Warders.  Here is a blurry picture of the naval officers carrying the barrel of rum:

When I left the Tower, I turned south and walked across London Bridge towards Borough Market for lunch. It was raining on and off, but the walk provides a great picture of Tower Bridge with the Olympic symbol. 


In Borough Market things were much less hectic than the Saturday that Tyler and I visited. I took some pictures of weird fruits and veg like this lychee: 

Oyster mushrooms:



 Last night we ate at Tom's Kitchen in Somerset House. This is the front of Somerset House which is just east of the Waterloo Bridge (which is where we were standing to take this picture)

This morning we bought some cakes from the neighborhood Saturday market in the Duke of York Square, then we said goodbye for the week. Tyler went to Brighton to play golf with some work friends, and I am now back in Oxford which is nice because I have a bit more down time to catch up on everything we did last week. 

This should be a good week. A different kind of course here all together, but still really interesting. I am going to try to do a few afternoon trips around the area and will post any pictures I manage to get. 

May have to go back to Woodstock/Blenheim after the Olympic Torch debacle from my last attempt. 

Off to supper with new classmates! 
Hope to post more pics from Tyler's phone later on - 




No comments: